If you’ve read other postings in this, rarely updated, blog you know that certain things about customer service rub me the wrong way. My Open Letter To AT&T, for example. Well, I got a new one.
For years I was a longtime user of Quicken on the mac. I had well over 7 years of finances tracked there. Long story shot, Apple updates their system software and Intuit decides it’s no longer going to support mac. So if I want to upgrade to the new system software, I need to find a quicken alternative. After looking around I choose iBank by IGG software. It’s certainly not as simple as the Quicken I was used to but it worked and they have an iPhone app which is a plus.
So for over a year I’ve been using iBank. The other day, I encountered a problem where data downloaded from my back, which in the past had imported fine, was crashing iBank. No matter what I did, the data never imported and the app just crashed. So I did all the usual things you do: Make sure I had the latest version, browse the IGG Support site for similar issues, look through their knowledge base. Nothing really seemed to point to my problem so I go to their email support page.
I filled out the questionnaire they give you. I described the problem I was having and at their request, included the crash log and the console reports from the crash. I send off my email and then wait. Two days later I received the following email from them…
Thank you for contacting IGG Technical Support. I am sorry to hear you are experiencing issues with iBank. Can you answer a few questions for me?
– Have you restarted your Mac recently
– Has iBank always behaved this way for you?
– Have you recently transferred data into iBank from another financial application?
– Has there been any changes on your Mac recently? Any Upgrades?
– Where are you saving your main iBank Document (data) file?
– How many different accounts, categories and transactions do you have? (estimate is fine)
– What happens if you select your accounts individually and then go to Account> Download Transactions for Selected Account?
– Have you read the iBank 4 Manual? http://www.iggsoft.com/manuals/iBank_4_Manual.pdf
– Have you watched the iBank Tutorial videos? http://www.iggsoftware.com/ibank/tutorials.php
– Have you tried contacting our Live Chat Support team? Live Chat support is available from 9:00-5:00 EST Monday-Friday. To start a Live Chat session go to the following page on our website and click on the green “Live Chat is ON” button below number 3: http://www.iggsoftware.com/support.php
Technical Support Specialist
IGG Software, Inc.